Hybrid velomobile - a formula for success?

What happens when one combines a fast and sporty velomobile like a Waw with the advanced electrical assist/generator like a BionX? Do they reinforce eachothers advantages or their disadvantages? Find out my and others experiences here. If you do not know what a velomobile or an electric assist is, check out the links first. (An electrical assist that helps up to only 25km/h and with power limited to 250W, remains a bicycle by EU law)

Monday, October 24, 2005

Feedback

I got a comment by "Allewedertje" which is not an uncommon reaction - so I post my answers to clear things up:

>Hmmm, I would not call an additional weight of 8kg "light" !
>Especially since the system does not work with speeds above
>25 km/h, you drag along a lot of weight. Since I live in a
>very flat area, it is certainly not on my wish list !

Allewedertje, 8kg IS light for such a system. Either way, if you live in a flat area, a BionX or any assist are NOT supposed to be on your wish list!!!!

Even worse, you are a youthfull capable cyclist so you cannot have one if you ask me !!!

I hear all the time that people say that 25km/h is too low, but then one misses the whole point - which is NOT about making the velomobile a little CAR!! NEVER!!!! (for me, the purist - I'll buy a real car when I want a car, thank you. A frugal and clean one of course).

It is supposed to help when you need help, uphill, and then 25km/h is just fine because the engine is not so strong that you would go faster than that on a real hill. Other than that, the velomobile is more than fast en nimble enough when I can ride above 25km/h and the difference with extra 8kg is minimal. I had an Allweder for 10 years... just weigh your Alleweder Allwedertje, it probably weighs more than 40kg!! ... I bet that I am faster than you - even in flat country and that despite the engine, not because... (OK - this is not a fair comparison and besides the point, but it had to be said ;-)

Safe riding to all...

5 Comments:

At 20/12/05 23:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For my part I won't say that it can't be used in a flat area. For many person to keep a average of 25Km/h is not easy. Than the BionX will help to to start faster and keep a faster speed.

 
At 26/12/05 12:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Frederik

One question. Can you change the max. permitted speed yourself or is it set from the factory? I know its 25 kph here but it would be need to be able to switch to 25 mph (and switch back when the coppers pull me over)

Regards
Mikael

 
At 26/12/05 12:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ehm, neat even.

 
At 12/1/06 08:53, Blogger allewedertje said...

I would not call myself a youthfull cyclist at the age of 42, but thanks for the compliment anyway ;-) !
My Alleweder's weight is close to 40 kg and I do not doubt that you are faster, since the total weight of your WAW + the BIONX would still be less then my velomobile. But adding + 8kg to my Alleweder would not be a smart thing, simply because I do not need it.
Reason for this is that I want to keep my velomobile a "pure" velomobile, without any kind of assist. Since speed is less of an issue for me, I do not care how slow I ride uphill, I can do it as slow as I want, because I don't have to bother about balance. I can easily maintain average speeds above 30 km/h on level aereas, so for the time being, I absolutely do not need any assist at all. Hope I can say the same thing in 20 years though ;-) !

 
At 16/1/06 10:38, Blogger Frederik said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home